Photography in the first year of a child’s life is a valuable way to document the growth and development of your baby in their early stages of life. Here are some reasons why I feel that first-year photography is important:
- Capturing those fleeting moments; that first year of a child’s life is filled with rapid changes and milestones. In the space of 12 months, your tiny newborn learns to smile, giggle, sit up, crawl and take their first steps! These moments pass by so quickly! Photographs allow you to freeze those precious moments in time, creating lasting memories to cherish and share with your child as they grow.
- Creating a visual timeline; when you combine all the photographs taken across that first year, they become a visual narrative of their journey, preserving memories that are so easy to miss or forget in the haze of sleepless nights and day-to-day life. You can very often see their little personalities begin to shine through as they get older.
- Remembering the details; from tiny fingers and toes to chubby cheeks and gummy smiles, capturing all these details through photography allows you to remember them in vivid detail, and they can be used to compare your child’s features with that of a new sibling.
- Preserving family memories; first-year photography isn’t just about the child, it’s also about documenting the love and connections within the family. When parents, siblings and extended family members are included in these photos, it helps to create a visual story of the child’s place within their family unit. These images can serve as a reminder of the love and support that surrounded them from the beginning.
- Sharing with friends and loved ones; first-year photography provides you with the opportunity to show off your beautiful baby’s milestones through social media, photo albums and framed prints. This allows others to be part of your child’s growth and celebrate their milestones from near or far.
- Building a legacy; over time, photography taken in the first year of a baby’s life becomes a cherished heirloom that can be passed down generations, allowing future family members to glimpse the beginnings of their lineage. They become a powerful connection to your own family’s story, and an invaluable piece of your child’s personal history.
You don’t need to be a professional photographer to capture meaningful first-year photographs; there is a saying amongst photographers that “the best camera is the one you have with you”. Most people have a phone with an inbuilt camera, and phone snaps are a great way to create memories. But for truly beautiful images, a professional photographer can create something that extra bit special. At my studio in Wollaton, Nottingham, I love to document babies from newborn, to that 12 week smile, then as they learn to sit unaided and all the way up to their first-year birthday celebrations. One of my absolute favourite things about my job is watching a tiny newborn grow up into a confident toddler. If this sounds like something you’re interested in, please get in touch.